My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, June 1, 2008

The first of June

I don't know any poems for the first of June, but it's here already. On one hand, the days seem to pass slowly, but I can't believe that I've been here for 3 full months already. I guess time probably will go pretty quickly, even though there are many days when it feels like the days are just crawling along.

The past week I traveled again to Stefan Voda. I needed to get to the bank, and the closest branch is there. I also visited with another volunteer who is living there, and had a GREAT visit! She has been here almost a year and a half, and is finished in November. She works in the local Art School, and has her own house that she rents. The only problem with the visit was that after I spent the day with her, I was a little jealous of her independence, and I know that I need to figure out how to find a place of my own here in the village. I do sometimes feel like I am imposing into family life here, and really miss having my own space. PC Moldova requires that for the first six months in site that volunteers live with a family. I am sure that there is probably some good rationale for this, but I hope that in five months I am living on my own. Anyway, the visit was fun. She had made a tasty chicken salad lunch, including chocolate chip cupcakes, and we drank Coke with real ice (a first here in Moldova) made from distilled water. Yummy!

Friday was the last day of school here. There wasn't much school going on. I think that is probably the same everywhere in the world. Kids are kids, no matter what language they speak at home. Getting out of school for the summer feels the same everywhere! There was a ceremony on the athletic field, with lots and lots of flowers from everyone's gardens. The roses are especially plentiful here, and so pretty. There were a lot of speeches, and recognition of teachers and students. It wasn't exactly a graduation ceremony, but more of a promotion ceremony, as it included students from all grades. Friday evening at the school there was a concert, where each class did a presentation to the other students. It was mostly the older students, and was a lot like a talent show. Lots of singing and dancing. I am not sure if I have written about this before or not, but I am so surprised at how many men of all ages, including young men and boys, sing and dance publicly here. Its not something I am really used to seeing. The students danced everything from the waltz, to traditional Moldovan dancing (the Hora) to hip-hop, and most of it was very good. There was also a lot of singing, again, a wide variety, and most of it good, or at least interesting.

Yesterday, the village School of Art had its 30th anniversary concert at the House of Culture, or Casa de Cultura. Again, lots of singing and dancing, and lots and lots of speeches. The total event was close to four hours long! I was not prepared for how long it was. Again, mostly good, always interesting, and I could even understand a lot of the speeches, so that's progress, too.

Today there is a soccer tournament at the local soccer field, and tomorrow begins another week. The progress on the Center where I will be working is going surprisingly fast, and they are paving the one main street through town. Life is good. I'll write again soon. I miss you all. Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home