My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturday afternoon in Chisinau

Here it is a Saturday afternoon in Chishinau. The PC lounge is full, and I have waited patiently to sign on to post my greetings to one and all. The past two weeks have been busy, but there is a real routine now to the time. The week after I last posted was busy with mid-training activities. We were assessed on our preparedness for serving in the Peace Corps and on our language skills. For me the bigger challenge has been with the language, but I did as well as I could. They haven't asked me to leave, so I guess I am doing okay.

Last Saturday we traveled to Orhei Vechi, which is a really pretty place, in a quiet and spiritual kind of way. It has historic ruins, and monasteries built into the rock. The actual area covers several miles. The church is on top of a ridge, between two large hills with deep valleys surrounding it. There is an underground monastery built below the current church, and the hills have caves carved into them from the 11th century. Very cool. This week the weather has been rainy and cold, and I have had a bit of a sore throat. The medical staff here are excellent, and I have been resting and studying much of the time that I am not actually participating in planned activities. I can hardly believe that the training is about half over. This coming week, on Tuesday, we will hear what and where our work sites will be for the next two years. I am curious, but it makes no difference to me, as one village is about the same as any other to me right now. The next time I am able to post, I will be able to let you all know, but like for me, it won't really mean anything. Next week-end we will actually travel to our new sites to interview families to live with and meet our counterpart. The counterpart is the person who we will be working with most closely as we move to our permanent jobs. That is exciting. I am hoping that I have enough language not to end up in Romania by mistake!

So that is all that is new with me right now. Happy Birthday to my Daddy on Monday, and I'll post again soon. Miss you all. Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home