My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Now I'm Offically a Volunteer

Yesterday was really quite interesting, and as the day progressed there was more and more to think about and process. The Ambassador's home was very impressive, and the swearing-in ceremony went well. When they played the recording of the national anthem, it was very moving. I think that the sentiments expressed by the Peace Corps staff, and the invited Moldovan staff, had many of us volunteers feeling proud of ourselves for having completed the training and very moved by the whole weight of the experiences of the past ten weeks. There were several speeches, and then a nice luncheon reception immediately after. A very nice, and well-organized event.

Immediately after the reception, it was back to the hotel to gather the many bags and begin the journey to my new village. The Peace Corps staff had asked that the representatives of the villages come with a car to transport us, and our luggage back to their villages. Not only did we not have a car, but we missed the last bus out of Chisinau, and the taxi driver drove VERY fast to catch up to the bus, which he did, just south of the city. On the side of the road, we transferred all of my luggage, plus Peace Corps issued equipment, into the bowels of the bus, and set off on our three hour ride to my new home. By the time we got here, I was tired, and went to my new room and began to unpack. I didn't do that for very long, but went to bed early, and today began my new job here. I do have a room at the school, very cold, but a place to go to everyday. I was there from 8 this morning until noon, and then went back in the afternoon to meet with my partner, and then went to the Internet cafe. They were helpful there, but now I am online from my new home. It is dial-up, and VERY slow, but at least I feel a little more connected knowing that I can read email pretty regularly. I don't think I will be on everyday, but maybe a couple of times a week. Please feel free to write anytime. You know I would love to hear from you.

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day here. This is an interesting holiday here, as WWII is not so distant in the memories of most Moldovans, and had a significant impact on their national history. More about that later. Its late, and I know I can write more often, so I don't want to bore anyone with an Eastern European history lesson. Peace, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home