My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Morning

It's a quiet Sunday morning, and time for my weekly update. I want to be able to share something exciting and new, but its not going to happen this week! After anticipating that the beginning of the school year would bring structure and purpose to my time, the reality has fallen a little short of the expectation. Monday morning did start with a celebration at the school. As always, lots of flowers, teachers greeting students, about an hour in the classrooms, and then everyone left and went home by 10 am. No one really wants to do too much on the first day of school anywhere. Here they don't even stick around and pretend that they are trying to start to work!

Tuesday afternoon I got a surprise call from my parents. What a nice treat! Nothing new at home, but it was great to talk with them! When they called I was on my way to the first meeting of English Club. This group started in May when I first got here, and met for a few weeks before the end of the school year. There were about 5 kids who would show up and we would fumble through conversation in English and Romanian for an hour. I was not prepared then, for the 22 kids who were waiting for me on Tuesday afternoon. They had lots of questions, we talked informally about what they are interested in talking about. This is not an English language "class" as much as it is a club for kids who have taken, or are taking some English classes, and want to just practice. It is good for them, and great for me, since almost everything needs to be translated into Romanian. They were so enthusiastic and energetic! It was great! There were also 3 adults who showed up, and they asked if I would be willing to have a second "club" for them, around topics and language that they might need professionally. That group will start to meet tomorrow afternoon.

That really was the high point of the week. Not much else has happened since Tuesday. Friday I went to Stefan Voda, and yesterday I met with Andrea for a visit, but that's about it. I've been doing a lot of reading. I re-read The Reader and now I'm on The Purpose Driven Life. I also read a good, but older, book about life in Alaska, Coming into the Country, by John McPhee. I wonder if Sarah Palin has read it??

This weekend I am missing the Air Show in Brunswick. I used to love to sit on my deck and watch the jets fly so low over my house that I could almost see my reflection in the sunglasses on the pilots as they flew upside down over my house. (Only a slight exaggeration!) I guess the weather isn't great there, so maybe I'm not missing too much. Have a great week! Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home