My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ripe

It is the season of ripe fruit here in Moldova. Last week I spent a lot of time picking, pitting, and helping to preserve cherries, both black and sour. The plums are almost ripe and the peaches are getting ready to be picked. I really do love all the fresh fruit. For many years I had allergies to fresh fruit, but I am finding that if I have just a little bit at a time, I am able to do pretty well with it. Everyday since being here I have had cabbage and potatoes offered up in many different ways, but now all of that is supplemented with really fresh and healthy food.

The other thing that is ripe, and I don't mean this to be as offensive as I think it might sound, is that the heat, combined with the different sense of "space" that most Moldovans share, has made for some "ripe" moments on the buses and around town. I don't know if I have shared how different the Moldovan sense of personal space is from my own, but at times it has been uncomfortable for me. There is an almost constant need to be touching others that I have been challenged by. The heat has made this a bit more of an issue for me, as odors have increased along with the temperature. I have some lovely homemade soap that I use daily and am so grateful for, but not everyone here shares my need not to feel so "ripe". On the buses it is particularly interesting, as many here believe that the fresh air coming in through open windows causes illness. Babies are bundled even in the heat, and windows on the buses are almost always left closed, even though there is usually no working air conditioning. I personally don't care for air conditioning, but fresh air has always been welcome. Whew!

I have gotten a few more questions:
How hard is the language? I feel fortunate because I think Romanian is not that difficult compared to other languages. It is very close to Latin and Italian, so my nieces Emile and Sloane would probably not have much trouble with it. My receptive skills are much better than my expressive skills with the language, but everyday I learn new words. and it is coming along. I am glad that I didn't have to learn Russian, and I am working to learn more phrases and words, but realistically I know that I will not become proficient during the next two years in Russian.

What can you buy there? What is in the Piata/Market? In the market in my village, which is on a Sunday morning, you can buy food and clothing. In the market in Chisinau you can buy almost anything. The quality in both markets is not great, although the produce is very good, the other household and clothing items are not of great quality. I think that if I needed to I could probably find everything I need in Chisinau. My local market meets my everyday needs.

So last thing before I sign off is just to say that I am still in the process of "letting go" and using the serenity prayer to remind me that there are so many things that are beyond my control right now. I think that my house is finally rented. Linnea is doing okay, still trying to figure out what is next for her, but looking forward to a visit from her friends from Pennsylvania. I am saying a special prayer for my friends whom I miss everyday, and some of whom I love and worry about all the time. Thanks always to my parents for their letters and ongoing and incredible support. I couldn't be doing this without you all backing me up! Miss you all. Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home