My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A visit from the President and two funerals



Today, or actually yesterday, now that it is past midnight here, the President of Moldova, Mr. Vronin, came to the village to cut the ribbon on our newly paved main street, and to talk about agriculture. I could not really hear him over the crowd, so I am not sure what he was talking about, but there was a fair amount of pomp and circumstance all over town.

On Monday I had traveled to Chisinau for the day to attend my first VAC meeting. It was a really long day, as I leave at 5 am and then missed the 2:30 pm bus to return home, and took the 5 pm bus, returning home around 8:30. Long day. When I got back to the house Lidia told me that there were two young people in town who died on Monday. One was a young woman, maybe 18 or so, who has had cancer for the past three years. Her mother is a teacher at the Russian school, and different people in the town have raised money, sending her to Germany for treatment at one point. The other loss was a young man, now living in the capital, who fell from a 5th story balcony there.

I left the house this morning just before 9 to go for a walk, aware of this information, but unprepared to see four young men carrying an open casket just past my house and down the main street, followed by many, many of my neighbors. Someone, a family member I am guessing, left the procession to offer me a gift of a tea cup, a chocolate, a handkerchief, a candle and matches. I am not sure of the significance of the gifts, but I was moved. The procession was lead by the priest and at each intersection the pall bearers put down their load, and there were prayers and lots of incense. It was very moving, and reminded me how fragile life is.

Like at graduation, and every other celebration I have attended here in Moldova, there were literally thousands of flowers that were everywhere in town. It is rose season, and there were roses even in the street between the church and the cemetery, and petals strewn all over the floor of the church. It was very pretty, but sad.

This was followed by some sad news from home. News that I was expecting, but sad for me none the less. I know that all things happen for a reason, but I have held onto a hope and a dream that I need to let go of. It makes me sad...

Good thing I know tomorrow is another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home