My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Election results

Well, I have to start by saying that I am a little frustrated right now with my computer. I just updated to Explorer version 9, and for some reason I am no longer able to cut and paste from other sources into this blog. I am sure it is probably just some setting that needs to be readjusted, or this blog added to something so that I can paste into it, but in any event, it makes it a little more complicated to put stuff in here from other sources. I always cite the original source, except once with a picture, but until I figure this out, you will only be reading what I am writing. The reason this is so annoying right now, is because this whole election thing is sort of confusing. Added to that, I am really trying not to get involved, or even care a whole lot about the outcome, although I do care greatly about the process.

The elections were held this past Wednesday, July 29. The election was well supervised and there were no riots or problems during or after the voting. There are still some alliances that will need to be formulated to elect a President and the Speaker of Parliament. The important thing to remember is that this time things were done without rioting, without loss of life, and hopefully this country can move forward in peace. I think I have taken for granted the smooth transition of power, more or less, with the exception of the election in 2000, and the confusion in Florida at that time. Still and all, we do seem to manage to move forward more quickly, and with more consistency than has been the process here this year.

Other than the election, the only other thing going on besides work, and my usual daily routine, is working on getting my partner to the US for our visit in November. We have completed her visa application, and are scheduled for an interview at the Embassy next week. It is a lot of little detail stuff, and a fair amount of big bureaucracy stuff, but we are wading through it okay. I anticipate that we will know about the visa by mid-week next week.

Work has been fun this summer. I really am enjoying my time with the residents so much. Everyday that I am here in the village I go to work, usually for about 4-6 hours every morning. Right now there is a young teenage mother and her infant girl staying there, along with two little boys who have been there since January, and three little girls. There are also 2 elderly women, and a middle aged man who is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan. He is also a stroke victim. During the day there are also a few, anywhere from 2-6, other kids who come between 9-4 or 10-4. It's busy, and lots of fun. I am glad to at least have enough communication skills to be able to talk to a kid! As I have said before, I can get everything I need, even if I don't always get exactly what I want.

Other than that, there isn't too much that is new. The days are getting shorter, and I am trying not to think about the coming winter, except in terms of my visit home. Its what keeps me going. I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home