My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm loving my (Peace Corps) life

Since coming back to Moldova from my vacation in the States, I have been in such a good state of mind. Content, happy, feeling really good about being here and the work that I am doing. Yippee! It feels good to feel fulfilled. It was reassuring to be home and to see everyone thriving without me. It was mostly good to just see everyone, period. And now I have less than a year to serve. I know it will pass quickly, even if some days drag on forever.

While I was home I talked with family and friends about my work, and my life here, and what is good, and not so good about the Peace Corps life. I mostly only have positive things to say about my Peace Corps experience. While the initial weeks and months were a struggle for me, it was more about my personal responsibilities that I abdicated to others, than it was anything that the Peace Corps did or did not provide. Its a great organization overall. Like many big organizations, there is often the perception that there are too many layers, too much bureaucracy. I'm guessing that is true, but as a volunteer I am mostly, and blissfully, unaware of most of this bureaucratic layering. What I am aware of, and what I started to talk about was a sort of "colonialist" model that Peace Corps has. In talking with another volunteer upon my return, she corrected me. As volunteers, we are not forcing anyone to espouse American, or Western, ways of thinking. We are not trying to "take over" anyone or anything. What I came to realize in this conversation (thank you, Zan, for helping me to clarify my argument) is not that Peace Corps is "colonialist", but rather it is unilateral. There is not the sharing of experiences across cultures that there could be. It is not as collaborative an engagement as is possible. Its good, but its not great. It could be better.

So, the big question is: What will I accomplish in the coming year? In a program specific questionnaire that we received a few months ago about how to improve partner relationships, an idea began to germinate. In the coming year I would like to bring my Moldovan partner to the States to see programs and services that are designed to serve the same, or similar populations (elderly and child residential programs). I want this field trip to offer her some of the richness of experience that I have been blessed to have here in Moldova. I want to be able to help her expand her frame of reference on what is truly possible. She is visionary, but limited by resources and knowledge. To increase knowledge is to improve sustainability. I think it is a great opportunity for both of us to increase our collaborative efforts.

So here is the scheming part of my "Dreams and Schemes". I am looking to you, my friends and family, and even strangers who read this who have never met me, to contribute to this effort. I understand that Peace Corps, as a taxpayer funded organization, cannot use any of its funds to pay for our host country friends and partners in any way. I generally agree with that stance. What that position does mean, though, is that I cannot use any Peace Corps money in furtherance of this goal. So I am looking to you, your church organizations, scout troops, community service projects, whomever you are, to help me make this dream happen. My parents, who have power of attorney, can deposit checks to help off-set expenses. Their name/address: James and Beverly Kelly, PO Box 1205, Wolfeboro, NH 03894. Thank you and I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

"I used to assume that the direction of 'progress' was somehow inevitable, not to be questioned. I passively accepted a new road through the middle of the park, a steel-and-glass bank where a 200 year old church had stood...and the fact that life seemed to get harder and faster with each day. I do not anymore...I have learned that there is more than one path into the future and I have had the privilege to witness another, saner way of life - a pattern of existence based on the co-evolution between human beings and the earth...Community and a close relationship with the land can enrich human life beyond all comparison with material wealth or technological sophistication. I have learned that another way is possible."

Helena Norberg-Hodge in Ancient Futures, found in Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I just finished Three Cups of Tea, and found it really inspirational. Maybe its where my head is at....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home