My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Ides of March

The middle of March, and the weather here is windy and cool. March weather. Everyone here is waiting for April and May, when the days are consistently warmer. We have had a few "teaser" warm days, and now it is back to feeling more like Winter than Spring.

This week I spent a lot of time in Chişinău. I went in on the bus first thing Monday morning to see the doctor. I've been having headaches in the morning when I wake up, and I thought it was because I need some stronger reading glasses. That turned out to be true, but I also had a sinus infection with a fever. Mostly because of the fever, the doctor decided to keep me in medical TDY. The TDY apartment is in the building right next to the Peace Corps office, and it is a nice break away from the village life. Its a great place to be when not feeling well, that's for sure. Comfortable beds, hot showers. Very nice. On Tuesday I met with the doctor again. I still had a slight fever, had and eye exam and got stronger glasses, and got most of my mid-service physical exam done, and the doctor asked that I stay in TDY one more night. I have to go back at the end of the month to get my PPD/TB test done and read and see the dentist, but the doctor didn't want to give the TB test to me with even a slight fever. No surprise, I'm healthy. Nothing of concern. For all the time it took for Peace Corps to medically clear me before my service, I have been remarkably healthy since coming to Moldova. Yay! So many volunteers seem to have some pretty serious gastro-intestinal stuff. I'm glad that I've avoided that mess...*knocking on wood*.


Wednesday morning I had a large package arrive from Kim and Mike with gifts for the residents at the Center. Thank you so much!!!! In this picture the kids are listening to a story and just holding on to their new stuffed toys. The "babas" loved their warm pj's and robes, too, but they didn't want me to take a picture of them, so I respected that request. Everyone was so appreciative, and after the week I had last week, it surely helped to show up to work with gifts from America. I only went to work on Thursday and Friday this week, and yesterday I was back in Chişinău for the day. Yesterday the trip was for the Book Club meeting. It was a rainy, dreary day, but as always, nice to meet up with my friends. Today I am meeting with my language tutor, and then heading out to work for the afternoon. This is a shorter note, probably because now my life has a real sense of routine and it doesn't feel like there is so much to talk that is new and exciting. I'll be home in a month and I am counting the days! Miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home