My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday in Chisinau

Today it is Sunday afternoon, and I am sitting in the Peace Corps lounge after two full days of language training. Tomorrow and Tuesday we will be attending training with the group who came before us. That group, the 21's, are also volunteers who are specializing in Community and Organizational Development (COD) and Agriculture and Rural Business Development (ARBD). There are about 60 of us who have descended into Chisinau for the two days. It should be a good time.

The abbreviated work week that just was felt understandably shorter than usual. There is a core group of regular residents at the Center, and then a fluid group of day visitors, mostly elderly folks. On weekends and holidays there have been many kids who have come during the day. The day activities seem to be mostly unstructured, and I have been working with the social assistants to develop a schedule of activities and a plan for who will be visiting the Center during the day, what time to expect each visitor, and what activities the visitors might be interested in participating in. Many people are coming just before lunch time with empty jars which are filled with soup, and then they return directly home. Others come in late morning, and then stay and visit into the afternoon hours. In the next few weeks I plan to be going with the Social Assistants to do some more home visits in addition to the work at the Center. It feels so good to be busy with meaningful work.

My parents are now on St. Croix visiting with David. I am sure that 85* and sunny beats the New Hampshire winter. Linnea is doing well. I have heard from my sister-in-law Brenda this week that my father-in-law is having some health problems that are of concern. Now that I have internet again I have been hearing from many friends via email. I am getting calls and even the sporadically delivered letter, although the irregular mail delivery continues to be among the most frustrating things for me. Yesterday my Grandmother called and told me that her Aunt Emily died in her sleep this past week. My grandmother is 91 and Aunt Em was 93. May I be so blessed to have such a long and healthy life. Thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home