My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving. There is a lot to be thankful for in this world. My family, my friends, my health, good work to do everywhere in the world, sunny skies, the list goes on....

This week, however, started out with a little bit of a problem. About an hour after I wrote last, I was carrying a teakettle of boiling water to the other house to help with dishes after the masa, tripped and fell, spilling boiling water all over my right (writing) hand. Ouch!!! I have second degree burns, with gross, oozing blisters on the top of my hand. The pain was pretty bad on Sunday night, but is much better now. I called the PC doctor Sunday right after it happened, came into Chisinau on Monday to have it looked at, and it is, and I am fine. What a klutz! Really, it wasn't totally my fault, although I know I probably shouldn't have been carrying boiling water through a dark vineyard without a flashlight, but someone had moved a bench into the path, and of course I didn't see it in the dark. Este viata! That's life!

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty quiet. No activity at the Center yesterday, and only some housekeeping folks there on Tuesday when I walked past. Next week I will be focused on that work, for sure.

Today, to take care of myself, I have come into Chisinau and will be heading up to see my friend, Teresa, in her town. She has planned a Mexican feast for her family, and invited me to join with them. Tomorrow we are heading together to Orhei, a larger town about an hour north of Chisinau, to have a Turkey celebration with some other volunteers: turkey with all the stuff that goes with the big bird, football, games, sounds like fun.

The year that I was 18 I lived in Sweden for the year. I had a blast. I was young, care-free and without responsibilities. That sounds much better than irresponsible, don't you think? That year, the only day I remember being homesick was on Thanksgiving day, talking to my family. This journey has been fraught with so many more challenges for me. I have struggled much more with the issues of cares and responsibilities, and all that I have left for others to assume in my absence. Funny how maturity can do that....Anyway, this time I have done what I can to prepare for this time of year, to stay busy, to remember why this service time was important to me. I am thankful everyday. This is really just one more day to be thankful. It, and the 4th of July, are my favorite holidays. I'll see you all soon. I think its now around 135 days! A special happy birthday this month to my brother-in-law, Donald, and to my good friend, Lisa B. both of whom are now fifty!!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!! Love you and miss you all, XOXO, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home