My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election 2008 and school vacation week

One of the last things that I did before leaving Maine last February was to participate in the Democratic caucus in Brunswick. Since that time, I have been spared the incessant commercials, and all of the other hoopla that goes with a Presidential election. That doesn't mean that I don't care about the election process, only that I have felt relieved not to have had to deal with the entire process. We did get a transcript of the concession speech by John McCain, along with the acceptance speech by Barack Obama. Both men clearly care deeply for America, and each would have brought their experience to lead the country forward. We are walking forward in history. This really is an amazing and proud time for America. Living in Moldova and hearing the comments and conversing with people here, they are often surprised and pleased that America has chosen Obama to be our next President. The comments and questions I have heard usually start with the race issue, but have quickly moved to content. With the exception of one person from home, whom I know clearly represents the religious, and very conservative perspective, and who has taken this win by Obama somewhat personally and written inflammatory comments in public forums, this seems to be a win for many, many people. Let's all hope that this optimism and good will carries us all forward in positive ways.

Closer to where I am, this has been school vacation week in Moldova. The week has been even slower than usual. Lidia was on an excursion to Crimea, and her daughter, Natasha was here at the house with me. Again, lots of walking and reading. I finished War and Peace, and then read a really trashy quick novel, Wild Silver, just to give me some perspective after War and Peace. It was so slow this week that I also read The Prairie, by James Fenimore Cooper. This book is the last in the Leatherstocking Tales, and is the end of the trail for Natty Bumppo. Antiquated language aside, it was a good story. Now I have started 1001 Arabian Nights, with tons (!) of footnotes. Again, close to 1000 pages, so this might take me almost into December.

The Center is done, furniture in place, and the Grand Opening is scheduled for next Monday, the 17th. I have invited some Peace Corps staff and some other volunteers to come for the day, and I'm hopeful that they will make it here. I'm not exactly sure what will happen after the opening, but starting this week, I have a place to go and almost "real" work to do. Natalia has started interviewing potential staff, but as far as I can understand, no real decisions about residents have been made yet. I'm along for the ride, wherever it takes me....

The weather, which up until the middle of the week had been warm and cloudy, is now once again cooler and crisp. The days, short as they are, have been sunny. This past week most of the gardens have been turned over for winter, and the fields have the beginning sprouts of winter rye and wheat.

I talked to my parents this past week. My mom continues to do amazingly well. Her health is good, and they are looking forward to St. Croix in January. My grandparents had a good visit with them and they are now back in New York. Linnea sounds happy, and seems to be doing well back in Reading. Aunt Brenda, Uncle Larry, Aunt Donna and Uncle Bob are all there and super-supportive, along with Nicki and her other friends. It's still hard to relax and totally "let go". For a laid-back kind of person, there sure seems to be a lot that simmers just beyond my control. The coming weeks are bringing some challenges for a special friend. I will say my little prayers of support from this distance, and hope that all goes well. I miss you all. xoxo. Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home