My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday evening

It has been a mostly quiet week since I last wrote. The days have been sunny, cool, and crisp, and the nights cooler and longer. I have been doing lots and lots of walking, and reading War and Peace. It is easier to read than I anticipated, but it sure is long. The hardest thing about reading is that with copy I have the font is so small, and the pages are so yellow, that my eyes are having a hard time adjusting. The light in my room is very poor, so that pretty much limits my reading to the daylight hours. While reading War and Peace, I also picked up at Peace Corps, and have finished American Taboo, by Philip Weiss. It is non-fiction, and is the story of the murder of a Peace Corps volunteer by another volunteer in the 1970's. That's all that's new with the reading list. There is a book club that is starting with some volunteers in a few weeks, and I plan to join. That will give me some additional people to share books with.

My parents called today. What a great treat! They sound great, and from what they told me, things continue to go well with my mom's recovery. My grandparents are planning a visit for early next week, so that will be nice for all of them. There is not much new there otherwise. My brother lost his patio roof during hurricane Omar, but other than that his house didn't sustain other damage. The Virgin Islands have escaped real damaging hurricanes for several years. I am glad that he has weathered another season with minimal damage.

Today I spent the day chopping and stacking wood for the winter. I ache in places I didn't know existed! We started about 8:30 this morning, and worked until about 4:30 this afternoon, and we have done about half of the wood. It was slow going at first, but then I got a good swing going. It's sort of like baseball, but in a different direction. Sort of. I don't think I'll have a problem sleeping tonight!

The center appears to be done, and they are talking about opening sometime in November. Representatives of the funding agent came to the Center to review everything. I think the plumbing has even been hooked up! I did try to turn on the lights, and they weren't working, so the electricity is not on yet.

I think Teresa is planning a visit this weekend, and next Monday is Hram (village day). There is no school on Monday, and the following week is a vacation week for the school. Happy Rocktober! Take care, xoxo Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home