My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Warm

I know its been over a week since I have written here, but I have a good excuse, really I do. Since last Saturday, 10/25, my computer has not been working. There are such extreme power surges, and even with a surge protector, electronic devices take a beating here in Moldova. I finally got it fixed this past Friday, so hopefully it will be good again for a while.

Last week was warm and sunny most of the week, and today it feels like it must be close to 60 degrees! Last weekend Teresa did come to the village for a visit. We did some walking, and watched lots of movies on her computer and drank hot chocolate with marshmallows, and ate toast. Last Sunday I broke down and bought a toaster. I know that my family here thinks its silly to make toast when bread can be just as good stale, (!)
but I like it warm. Yummy!

Last Monday was Hram in the village. Hram is the day honoring the patron saint of the village. I had thought it was just the Village Day, but as with many things here, there is a religious connection to the festivities. The day starts with the ringing of the village church bells, and day- long church services. Unlike at home, here in the village, the service seems to be continuous, and people stop in at the church and stay as long or as little as they like. There have been banners flying at either end of the village, announcing a concert starting at 2 in front of the Mayor's Office/Town Hall. The actual concert was at 4, in front of the school! Close, but not really accurate information on those banners! The concert went on for several hours, and apparently there were fireworks at the end, around 10 pm. It was a chilly night, and really, not that interesting, so I had left around 7.

Tuesday afternoon I met with my tutor at the school after English club. We met from 4-6pm, and when we were done, we realized that we were locked in the school! He called the School Director, who said that the security person, or someone with keys would be over in a while. After waiting a few minutes Ion found a window that could be opened, and we climbed out. In the process, I dropped my glasses. I found them on Wednesday morning, right where they had fallen out of my pocket just under the window. Just a little adventure to keep things interesting!

Wednesday was a day for moving furniture. All of the furniture was moved into place in the Residential Center. There is a little more furniture than there is room for all of it, but it looks great! I think the opening ceremonies should be taking place soon, but I haven't heard a date yet, or when it is expected that people will be moving in, but there is significant progress, and that feels really good. I have heard that the President of Moldova will be attending the opening ceremonies. We'll see. Also, on Wednesday, Lidia and I moved some furniture in my room. Some big chairs were moved out and a table rearranged. My room feels so much more spacious now.

Thursday was a trip to Stefan Voda. It was sad to go there and not be able to stop and visit with Renell. I only needed to get to the bank to get my rent money out, so it was a really quick trip. When I say quick trip, I think I need to explain what a "quick trip" is here. The bus leaves my village at 2:30 in the afternoon. It is maybe 10 miles to Stefan Voda. The bus takes about an hour to get there, because it stops so many places to pick people/things up. This bus stops for absolutely everyone who needs a ride. So I get there around 3:30, walk to the bank, go in the "nice" market in Stefan Voda, quickly buy a few things, and go out to the road to wait for the bus back. While waiting at the bus stop a car from my village passes, I recognize the driver, and get a ride back with him. We talk, I tell him that I am an American, and we talk about the work I am here to do in his village. He asks me if I like apples. Sure. He stops and gives me a crate of apples! He wouldn't take any money at all. Sometimes people are so generous when they can least afford it, and when I least expect it. Sometimes the little things that happen are the most thoughtful. These are really, really good apples. I am loving it, and truly eating one a day. For years I had an allergy to fruit, but it seems to have disappeared. Hope it keeps the doctor away!

This past weekend was spent traveling. On Friday morning I was up for the 5 am bus to Chisinau, got my computer fixed, finally, and then went with Teresa and Eden up to Veronica's village in the north. The bus left Chisinau at 3:45 pm, and it was dark by the time we got to Veronica's. She had done an amazing job organizing a Halloween dance at her Casa de Cultura for the teenagers in her village. Many of them were wearing costumes. It was a lot of fun! Veronica has a site mate, Judie, so there were five of us volunteers visiting with her host family. They are such a fun couple. They had made pizza (really good pizza) and lots and lots of drinking (not by me) and dancing (yup, me too) was going on. Teresa and Eden stayed later, but I needed to get the bus home yesterday afternoon, so I was up and out early yesterday morning. When I got home, Lidia told me that she was going to a training in the Ukraine for the week, and she was leaving early this morning. It was good that I decided to come home a little early, as it simplified things at this end. Today has been quiet. I did get a call from my grandmother, a nice treat! and talked to my parents on Wednesday afternoon. Things with all of them are going well. Linnea is also doing well, and still looking for work. I talk to her a couple of times a week.

This past week it was birthday time for Daniel, James, Adrienne, and Helen. Happy birthday to each of you! xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home