My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!

After a few days of warmer weather last week, today is FREEZING! I can't get warm, even with my space heater going. I am not in a happy place right now. It will pass, but not until I am feeling a little warmer. Why am I in Moldova and not the South Pacific today (or St. Croix)? What was I thinking when I accepted this work? If the worst thing that I deal with is the weather, how bad is that, really?

The week was mostly uneventful, which in itself is an event. I was thinking about that as I was walking the other day. I think I am more or less adjusting to my "new normal". That is to say that my routines now feel routine. I usually know what to expect in a given situation and where to turn for support or guidance, something that has taken the better part of a year to figure out. So all of that is good, the cold weather aside. I have read Anna Karenina this week. Written by Leo Tolstoy, I think it was my favorite of the Russian books that I've read over the past few months. His descriptions of peasant life in the 1870's made me realize how little has really changed in this part of the world in over 140 years. I also read a really trashy book called Kink by Saski Walker and Sasha White just so my IQ stays in balance. That's all the books I have, so its back to finding other things to keep me busy (and warm!) until I go back to Chisinau next weekend.

The poor mail delivery continues to frustrate me, but I have been able to talk to Linnea regularly on Skype, and that is an awesome thing. Because we have computers with web cams, I can actually see her when we are talking. I think it is the most amazing thing ever, and I it makes me imagine how people must have felt the first time that they used a telephone. I'm not sure why it took us so long to figure it out, but most of the time when we were not able to connect it was because I didn't have regular Internet access. That is one thing that I am really thankful for. I'm trying to do a positive re-frame, can you tell?

Today it has been 52 weeks since the Sunday afternoon when our group met for the first time in Philadelphia to begin this journey. The actual date was February 24, and it was Oscar night, as it is tonight. My friend Teresa is coming to my village for a visit today, and staying until Tuesday, so that will provide a nice diversion this last week of February. In hindsight, the year has gone by quickly, although there were times that it didn't feel so fast.

That's all that's new this week. I'll be home for a visit in less than two months, and I am counting down the days! Love and miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home