My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, March 22, 2009

March

More than half over. Filled with the promise of more warmer, beautiful days. Marching forward, another week that has passed by. This week, like more and more of them recently, has happened with increasing anticipation for my trip home, and the almost routine feeling that my life has now assumed. The big events this week were that Lidia's father had his only cow and her unborn calf both die trying to give birth. It was traumatic for him, and a big loss.

Work is good. There has been some turnover of residents, as the goal is to limit residential stays to three month intervals. The past three months have really gone by quickly, when I realize that the people who were first living at the Center have now mostly returned home. The children and elderly who have returned home are getting follow-up home visits from the Social Assistants, and are eligible to come back after some time. I am not sure what the time frame is to be re-admitted, but I will find out.


Yesterday several of the older volunteers met for a light lunch in Chisinau. It was a one day quick trip in to the city, lunch, and home again in the afternoon. Not quite as much fun as heading into Manhattan for the day, but always a nice change of pace. A hot shower, a letter, all is good.


My tutor told me that he bought a pig head at the market this morning, and was cooking it down to eat tomorrow. Yum. Not. I have never eaten a lot of meat, and I am almost a vegetarian after a year here.

Happy birthday tomorrow to my niece, Jean Marie, and later in the week, to my friend Allen. I'm counting down the days. Miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home