My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Friday, April 10, 2009

Unrest

Post-election Moldova has been a time of unrest. There have been demonstrations in Chişinău this week, and concern for all citizens here as they voice their feelings about the election process. I have included some links for you to read, if you are interested, about the events here this past week:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/europe/08moldova.html?_r=1&hp http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7988028.stm

While there were some opinions about the election here in my village, all of the conflict seemed to be centered in the capital. There were no demonstrations of any kind in my little town, and life goes on, as rurally peaceful as always. The primary focus this past week, while most of the days were warm and sunny, was getting all of the crops, especially the potatoes, into the ground. Priorities!!

Work has been unusually quiet, with many of the residents returning home now that the weather is warmer. Everyone is needed to help out at home, even the youngest children, and while we still have five elderly residents, many who had been staying with us have returned home recently, and these are some newer residents still settling in to the daily routine. We still have 3 little boys and 3 girls staying with us, but somehow it just seems quieter. Maybe its because more time is spent outdoors, and so the noise and activity is given freer reign...I'm not sure exactly what it is, but its been nice. The great weather has been awesome. While it has turned colder today, most of the week was really warm and sunny. Finally, Spring!

This weekend I am heading into Chişinău, and flying home on Tuesday for a three week visit!! I can't wait. I have been counting the days since they were over 100. Now I am down to three! I will try to visit with as many people as I can possibly see, and hope to see you all soon! Happy Easter this Sunday! Miss you all. xoxo, Jami

1 Comments:

Blogger DezvoltareErena said...

Jamie, have tons of fun at home? Eat all that you can eat and come back with lots of stories. Does this mean that we won't be seeing you for the rescheduled Mentor meeting?

April 13, 2009 at 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home