My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Slumber Party Weekend

I'm a little late this week with my usual Sunday posting. Sorry about that, but I just came back to my village from a really fun weekend with the "girls". Friday morning I left the village to go into Chişinău. I was originally scheduled to have my mid-service physical last Friday, but most of it had been completed when I was in Chişinău earlier in the month. The only things left to be done were the TB test and the dentist, which was scheduled for yesterday. The TB test is given one day and then needs to be read a few days later. They usually give these on a Friday and ask to read them on Monday. Great for me since this weekend was planned a while ago. Last week I got a call from the doctor that they have temporarily run out of the TB test. The very same day my tutor was telling me that there is a TB "epidemic" right now in Chişinău, and that many people are in the hospital with either the "gripa" or TB. I think I'll be careful and still take my chances on leaving the village. I'll get the TB test when I get back from vacation, and I'm sure I'll be fine.

The rest of the weekend was spent in the town where Teresa and Jenna live. They hosted a "Tudor's weekend" at one of the cabins near to where Jenna lives. The cabins are so cute! There were between 12 and 15 of us there for some or all of the weekend, watching the Showtime series "The Tudors", eating, laughing, having a GREAT time! It was just so much fun, and a great, warm, beautiful weekend. Love it!!!

Yesterday I ran some errands in Chişinău, had my dentist appointment (no problems, sorry David!) and headed back to the village. On the way back the bus had a flat tire. I think this is probably the fifth or sixth time that there has been a problem with the bus ride back and forth into the city, usually a flat tire, but one time it took almost 2 hours by the side of the road before the problem was resolved. I've lost count. It's not as bad in the warmer weather, but it still makes a long trip even longer. Ugh!

So now I am back, taking the day to catch up on some things around the house before heading back to work tomorrow morning. I was hoping to do some wash today, but now it is raining, so I guess that will have to wait for a day or two. Rain doesn't stop the Moldovan women from doing their wash the way a religious holiday does, but it seems pointless to me, so I'll wait. It's bound to be sunny again soon.

This week the national elections are being held here. I believe that there are 28 parties and the whole process seems a little confusing to me. It feels like a relief to me that we are not allowed to become involved in this political process in anyway. The elections will be held on April 5th, and the campaigning is in earnest in the village, and on a larger scale in Chişinău. I go back into the city for the VAC meeting next Saturday, so there will probably be even more activity then.

Two weeks and I'll be home. I can't wait to see everyone! Congratulations this week to Nicki and Keith, Caleb and Connor who have welcomed Abby to their family. See you soon!!!!!!!! xoxo,Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home