My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A busy week

It feels good to be busy. I am not busy in the way that I was busy at home, but I am busy this week in my Peace Corps life. This is the week that the new trainees come into town, and there is a fair amount of preparation for all of us to do to make them feel welcome. It feels good to be a part of this effort. Teresa has really assumed the position of being the lead organizer from the volunteer perspective, and she has done a great job. Now there are just last minute details before the "newbies" arrive on Thursday evening.


This past weekend I was in Chişinău and went to a volunteer gathering at Lake Ghidighici after the VAC meeting. This lake is the largest lake in Moldova, and is located just north of Chişinău. There was a pretty good group of people at the lake and then most of us headed back to Jenna's for the evening. Again, lots of fun. Yesterday and today are work days, and then tomorrow I head back into Chişinău for a long, activity-filled birthday weekend. I am looking forward to meeting all the new trainees and helping them acclimate to this different life!

Peace Corps news: Jeffrey Goveia, who has been our Acting Country Director since the departure of the previous Country Director, has been named the new Country Director for Moldova. This is great news from my perspective. Jeffrey is fair, enthusiastic, smart, and a pleasure to know and work for. On a sadder note, my friend, Andrea, who lives in the village closest to me, has decided to return home. She has thought through her decision, and of course, as her friend I support that decision. I will miss her lots, and wish her lots of luck and happiness. Best of luck to Jen and Matt V. Good news for them! I'm looking forward to "seeing" my family on Skype this weekend, and hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the long, warm days of June. I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jami:
My son Jon is coming to Moldova tomorrow. We left him off in Philadelphia this AM for the staging before departure.
You can't miss him if you see him. Tall, blond, blue eyes and a crew cut .
I know we shouldn't ask this but if you see him give him a big motherly hug for us, we appreciate it. We miss him like crazy already but are very proud of him.
russ and deborah rentler
Orefield, PA
God bless the work you do.

PS:
I liked your quote from Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

June 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rentler family ~
I met Jon last evening, as he and the rest of the M24's came into Chisinau. He is such a nice young man and was happy for a hug!
It was nice of you to contact me, and I was really happy to give him a special greeting from home.
BTW - I grew up in Kutztown. It really and truly is a small world!
If you want to contact me, my email is jream10273@aol.com

Jami

June 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home