My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Halfway home

Back in June I found a really great price on tickets from Frankfort to Boston. I bought them when I found them, hoping that everything would work out, and so far it has. Natalia has her visa, and plans are shaping up nicely for our activities. Now I just have to figure out how to get us to Frankfort. This is not as easy as it sounds, at least for Natalia. On the day we are planning to leave, there is no direct flight from Chisinau to Frankfort. We can fly the day before, and be in Frankfort overnight. She will need a German transit visa to do that, and she might need one in every instance, as we clear customs before we get on the Lufthansa flight to Boston. We can fly from Odessa through Istanbul, but this is an expensive and long way to get there. Equally long, but much cheaper, is to take a bus, or maybe a flight out of Bucharest. The problem might be in getting the transit visa through Romania, and again in Frankfort. It is a challenging process for Moldovans to get visas into Romania, as it is now in the EU and the gateway to other European countries. I am working on it, and its sort of fun to try to figure out what to do next to get us across the continent. I know from when I flew home before that it costs as much to fly from Chisinau to Frankfort as it does to fly from Frankfort to the US. Crazy!

Other than the field trip planning activities, I am enjoying these last few weeks of Summer. The weather has been warm and sunny, the grapes are ripening, work is good and fun, and I am settled into village life. I am content, but still counting down the days to November 12. I miss you all! xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home