My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Monday, August 24, 2009

Eighteen months

Today it is eighteen months since we first met as a group in Philadelphia to begin this Peace Corps journey. There were 29 of us in our group, now there are 22. Two volunteers left for medical care, and the other five for personal reasons. Those of us who remain are probably here until the end, although unforeseen circumstances could change that in a minute for anyone of us. It feels sort of amazing to have made it this far, and the countdown to the end is in sight.

In the meantime, there is the trip home in November. Planning is going well. I have given Natalia the task of contacting the German embassy to find information about transit visas. It was sort of a cop-out on my part, as the information on the German Embassy page was in German and Romanian. I figured she would be able to get the most accurate information from them. From what she shared after speaking with them is that it is a pretty simple and relatively cheap thing to get now that she has her visa for America. She needs to show up at the Embassy with all of her documents, including her American visa, proof of purchase of round-trip tickets, pay the nominal fee, and then we really will be good to go. I will be purchasing the Chisinau to Frankfort tickets early in October, and then we will get the transit visa. We are moving along. In researching all the options, it really is not only easier, but also probably cheaper to fly in and out of Chisinau. If we take a bus to Bucharest, or from Romania through eastern Europe to Germany, Natalia will have to secure transit visas, and pay a fee for each of them, for every country that we pass through. Traveling in and out of Chisinau will certainly be easier. So as soon as I get back into Chisinau I will get the tickets and start counting down for November!

Other than that there isn't much new. I haven't been to Chisinau in a while, and I have no plans in the foreseeable future to go there. It is a quiet end of Summer time. Work is good. Crops are being harvested, preserving of fruits and vegetables is going full force all over the village, kids are getting ready to go back to school. Life is good. Happy birthday today to my nephew, Ahren. I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

1 Comments:

Blogger jgoveia said...

You're great Jami!

August 26, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home