My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Monday, August 31, 2009

The end of August

Today is the last day in August. Here it is a holiday, Limba Noastra, "Our Language" day. In 1989, on this date, Moldovan/Romanian was officially declared the national language. Still, there are lots and lots of people in Moldova who primarily speak Russian. Also, this past Thursday was Moldovan independence day. Its been a five-day week-end. Funny thing though, almost everyday here feels like a week-end. I go to work everyday that I am in the village, which has been most of this month, but the pace of life here is so slow and uneventful that the time moves forward without any real sense of weekday versus weekend.

This past week it was mostly very hot and sunny. Last night we had thundershowers and it has been raining all day today. It is also about 20* cooler than it has been.

For all of my friends who have children starting kindergarten: Melissa with Meredith, Jami with Anna, Alicia with Cam, and Kirsten with Kate, relax and enjoy! All the rest of you starting back to school, or sending kids off for their first day this week, enjoy as well! It is a good new beginning! Schools in Moldova start tomorrow, so there is busy-ness here, as well. Happy birthday this week to my mother-in-law! I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home