My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Story

Today it is almost a month since I've written, and so much has happened. I'll start at the beginning, the start of the journey home. For those of you who have heard all of this, sorry about the repeat, for everyone else, its a long story, so skip around as you want. As I've been writing for months, I have been working for months to bring my Moldovan work partner to the US for a 'field trip'. I have struggled on how to explain the vision of how services might look, what administrative practices could, or should, be put into place in the Center in the village. My language skills are not that strong, but I realized a while ago that even when I had the vocabulary to describe policies and procedures that we often take for granted, I was not always believed. There are other Residential Centers in Moldova, and most of them are learning from each other on how to improve in areas of administration, documentation, services in general. But beyond what is done here, there is little vision of how things might look with a little more structure and organization. It was, and is, a great idea. I was so excited to be able to show her how we do things. So....

Shortly after my vacation home last Spring, I began to work toward bringing Natalia to the United States. I started with finding a very reasonably priced ticket from Frankfurt, Germany, to Boston. Check. We made application and she received her visa to the United States in mid-August. Check. Around that time I began to look at ways to get to Frankfurt from Moldova, and realized that Air Moldova did not fly to Frankfurt on the day that I had the tickets from Frankfurt to Boston. We talked about options. I asked her to follow-up with the German embassy to find out about transit visas. No check. I bought the tickets from Chisinau to Frankfurt. Natalia waited until November 2 to contact the German embassy, and then felt that the application was too difficult to complete. I did not hold her hand and assure that this was completed. In hindsight, it is the place where the whole thing fell apart, and I probably should have taken control of the whole thing...We got to the airport at 3 am on the morning of 11/11 and she was denied access to the flight to Frankfurt because we were going to be there for more that 24 hours. There was an actual lay-over time of 28 hours. We went to the ticket counter and I purchased an alternate ticket for her to fly from Chisinau to Bucharest, and then from Bucharest to Frankfurt. She was scheduled to arrive at Frankfurt on 11/12 at 10:50 in the morning. Our flight was to leave Frankfurt at 12:15pm that same day. Check. Whoops....the flight from Bucharest to Frankfurt was delayed on the morning of 11/12, and was scheduled to arrive in Frankfurt at 12:30. The authorities in Bucharest denied her access to the flight to Frankfurt because she would be unable to make the connecting flight. They decided to fly her back to Chisinau. At the time, I knew none of this, except that the flight was delayed. I tried to exchange the tickets that I did have for some later the same day. Lufthansa was willing to let me purchase new tickets (at $1500 a piece!!) to fly into JFK later on 11/12. I had already paid out a lot, and to be honest, I wasn't sure where Natalia was at this point. Thank goodness I didn't go ahead and buy more tickets that would have been wasted. I flew on to Boston alone, not sure where in the world Natalia was...Bucharest, Frankfurt, Moldova???

I got home to Boston on Thursday afternoon, met by my parents, but without my Moldovan co-worker, and lots of time to try to figure out what had happened. I have had so many conflicting emotions about this whole thing. I was so excited in planning and thinking about this trip, and I think Natalia was also. I feel like I dropped the ball by not hand-holding and taking more control at every single point. I feel like Natalia didn't do the one and only thing that she needed to do to ensure that she could have this experience. I go back and forth between knowing that things happen the way that they are supposed to, and just being so disappointed that this didn't happen the way it was planned. It is hard for me to be back here now. It was a thousand times harder to leave this time, and I just want to be done. I feel like I have failed to do the good thing that I had planned, and I am frustrated in so many ways right now to be back here.

I am staying focused on the things that I am thankful for, the family and friends who have supported me in so many ways over this journey. It was a wonderful gift to be able to spend time with everyone without the time and energy that translating and entertaining would have expended. Even though I feel like I have let so many people down by not seeing this to the point of fruition, I know I gave it my best shot. The good news is that Natalia still has a good amount of time left on her US visa, and I am still interested in hosting her at some point in the future. At this point, it will be up to her to see if it happens.

So that's the story of the past month. It is disappointing, and a little sad, but it was a wonderful vacation. One hundred and twenty-three days to go....I love and miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home