My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, September 13, 2009

September

I like September. I know what's coming, and I like it anyway. The cold, short, shallow days are in sight, I know. Still, this time of year has always been a favorite of mine. Cooler, and as crisp as a fresh apple, the air warms throughout the day, bringing memories of the summer that has just past. This past week in the village has been one like so many others. After the soaking rain of last weekend, this week has recovered nicely weather-wise. Work and life is at a steady pace. This past week, another volunteer, Jenna, took the bus to come see me and do a presentation for the staff at the Center on basic computer skills, reviewing Word and Excel for staff. She did a great job, and it was so appreciated, by both me, and the entire staff who participated.

Yesterday I got a call from the new volunteer, Jen, in the neighboring village. She came into my village this morning at 6 am with her host family to sell the pig that they butchered yesterday. It was nice to see her, and we made plans to travel into Stefan Voda next Saturday to spend the day together. It's nice to have some English-speaking time once in a while! I am so glad that I don't have that butchering thing to deal with. It is enough for me to deal with the chickens. Thank goodness we don't have pigs or cows here at the house. It's enough to make me a vegetarian!

Also yesterday, Lidia and Ion, my host family, went into Chisinau for a big wedding for their niece. They arrived back at home this morning around 7:30 am, and we are preparing for round two. I am excited, as I have not yet attended a Moldovan wedding. The event yesterday was the "modern" wedding. Held in a restaurant in Chisinau, and an expensive event, today's festivities are considered to be the "traditional" wedding celebration. Lidia has spent much of the past week with her female relatives preparing food. Everything will be home-made. No store bought food at this masa. This party is for those who could not travel to Chisinau yesterday, or for the closest of family who have been invited to both events. It is nice to be included today, and it was really nice to have the house to myself for a few hours yesterday. So far the week is shaping up nicely.

There isn't much else new. Yesterday was a sad memory day, but I had lots and lots to do (relatively speaking), and it passed, as they always do, with just a little prayer for what might have been. As always, I am counting the days until I come home. It is now just over 60 days. I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home