My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grapes and Walnuts

This has been the week for gathering walnuts and grapes, making wine, and preparing the last of the produce for Winter eating. Along all of the major roads, the ones that I travel between here and Chisinau at least, are walnut trees. In this village, many people go out along the road and gather walnuts for the winter. They carry long sticks to hit the branches, and then open the green shell and take the nuts, place them in very large bags, and load their bikes with a bag or two. There was one family who showed up with their car to load, but it has been my observation that most people only gather as much as they can manage to carry back home. They can, however, carry a lot. I am surprised that there are any nuts left at all, but I just came back from my walk, and there were still some people out there. Lots and lots of walnuts.

As many walnuts as there are, there are surely more grapes here. Last week and this week has been grape harvest, and wine-making in earnest. At every home there are wooden barrels, thousands of bees, and lots and lots and lots of wine. Unfortunately, there are also more than the usual number of inebriated men in the village. Apparently, tasting is the best part of wine making, and the more you taste the better it is! It is a source of familial competition, but after a pahar (glass) or two, everyone here agrees that it is all good, and that Moldovan wine is the best in the world. No comment. I did try the musty juice, just before it is fermented, and its got some funky taste going on. Its hard to describe, and not really bad, but very different.

That's the news on the home front. Work has been good, with the exception of all the kids, and now me, getting sick. The changing temperatures, cool in the mornings and evenings, and warm in the afternoon is part of it, but I don't believe that upper respiratory infections are caused by changes in the weather. Yesterday I took a day at home, did wash, and then slept most of the afternoon. I feel so much better today. I did talk to the doctor, and will see her next week when I go into Chisinau to buy the plane tickets to Frankfurt. Yippee! It will be good to have that task done and paid for. Safe travels this week for Linnea and Joe as they travel to Maine and New Hampshire, and thank you to whomever has sent me a package! I love getting packages! I received an email from Peace Corps that I have a package, but they don't tell you from whom, so thank you in advance. I really can't wait for Tuesday, and my trip to the capitol...all sorts of good things await me there! Anyway, that's all folks! I miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home