My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gray and Brown

Gray and brown were not only the colors of the Moldovan landscape this past week, but it was a pretty accurate description for my mood earlier this past week. Everyday this week it tried to flurry, but mostly just stayed gray, drizzly, and miserable. The mud is disgusting! It was hard to come back, and for the first few days, it was hard to be here. Oh, what a difference a weekend can make!

I got back to my village on Monday afternoon, and went to work Tuesday morning. The staff had posted signs that said Welcome Back Djemi (Close enough!), and everyone seemed so happy to have me back. The kids were happy to see me, for sure. I saw Natalia on Wednesday morning, and she let me know that she would be in Stefan Voda all day Wednesday, and in Chisinau on Thursday. I let her know that I was planning to go to Chisinau on Friday. That was the extent of our exchange, and so I still don't have a clear sense of how she is feeling. I am guessing that like me, perhaps her emotions are all over the place about this lost opportunity. Just a guess, though. So, work is back to the same routine. Overall, that is a good thing.

Friday morning I was up early and in at Peace Corps first thing in the morning. I love a Peace Corps shower when there is lots and lots of hot water! I like them okay even when there is not unlimited hot water, but getting there first is great. Later in the day I met briefly with Jeffrey, our Country Director. He had read my blog from last week, so he had a better idea of where things fell apart. It was helpful for me to process the whole thing with him, and I really appreciate his support. I felt more at peace and happier about being back here after speaking with him.

The rest of the week-end was spent at a "Dirty South Party in a Northern Village". Several volunteers serving in the North: Toumil, Veronica, Neal, and some others, prepared a weekend long southern eating marathon, along with lots of fun and games. Friday evening was Tex-Mex all the way: queso, quesadillas, onion rings, fried jalapenos, fried pickles(!), all sorts of good eating. Neal, who comes to Moldova from Louisiana, prepared the Jambalaya for Saturday night. Lots of good times, laughter, and a very grateful reminder for me that it is my colleagues who understand this journey like no one else can. Thanks, guys!

Now I am back, ready for another week at work. I still don't like the gray and the mud brown, but I am in a better space. In only eight days it will be the Winter Solstice, and the days will slowly start getting longer again. YAY!! Happy birthdays this week to my niece, Adena, Michele's grandson, Ryan, my sister-in-law, Aleece, my friend, Martha, and to my niece, Emile. I love and miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home