My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another one bites the mud....

Even things that seem endless do eventually come to an end, and January is almost over! Since coming back to Moldova at the beginning of December, this was the milestone that I knew I would need to reach to stay until the end of my service. I have persevered, and tomorrow it will be February. In past years, I have always had such a difficult time through the fall months, as the days get shorter, anniversaries are painful, whatever...I did some good planning, and had a great trip home in November, just as I needed. Even though it went nothing as I had planned, it was the respite I craved. Those of you who have communicated with me, or read this, know that I have struggled more than usual since coming back. Unless there is an emergency, I do now believe that I will make it until the end of my service, and that is a good feeling. There was nothing in particular this past week that made feel more confident of that, just the passage of days, the crossing off of time on the calendar, the little bit more of sunlight with each day. Yippee!

Last week was a typical work week, nothing unusual, other than the bitter, bitter cold. Last Sunday night it was so cold here in Moldova, that there were several reports of people freezing to death in villages around the country, and I saw two frozen animals here in my village. Sad. Schools were on an abbreviated schedule until Wednesday because it was too cold for children to walk to school. I'm sure its not the last of the cold weather for this winter, but I hope it doesn't get that cold again here before I leave! Now it is warmer, and VERY muddy in my village, hence the title of today's posting.

On Friday, I was planning to go into Chisinau for a knitting weekend with some of the other volunteers. Unfortunately, that was postponed because so many of the people who were planning to attend had bronchitis, or some other sickness. I went in anyway, and had a great time. I stayed in the capital with a new friend, a woman who teaches at the International School, along with another volunteer. I had stayed in her apartment with a different volunteer a few weeks ago, while the teacher was visiting in the US, so it was nice to finally meet her and enjoy being in her great apartment again. She is very generous with her space, and it was good to end the month in such a positive way. The knitting weekend has been postponed until the middle of this month, so I still have that to look forward to! I had three showers in three days, four letters and a package, so all is right in the world! Now I am back in the village, getting ready for another week at work. It was still pretty light out when I got off the bus at 5:30, so the days are getting noticeably longer. That is a good thing, too.

Safe travels this week to my parents as they head to St. Croix! Happy birthday this past week to my friends Ed and Kirsten, and this coming week to my sister-in-law, Brenda, and my sweet younger brother, David. And special thoughts to my friends Betsy and Momen this week, as Momen's brothers are visiting from Uzbekistan. Momen had not seen anyone from his family for over 27 years! I can't even imagine that, as I have had the hardest time here and couldn't even make it one year without seeing all of you. Wherever you are, hold those you love a little closer this week. I love and miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home