My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Teaser

This week started out as a "teaser". It was warm enough to feel like Spring was just around the corner. On Tuesday it was probably close to 50 degrees, and the sun was out for almost an hour! HA! Wrong!! It's cold, and today it is icy. January. There is no getting around it. Spring will come, I will be home to enjoy it, and for now, I am in the village routine. As always when I am here, there isn't too much to talk about.

The census is down at work. This week there are three children and three older women, and one older man. Two of the three children have been living at the Center, on and off, for much of the past year. Their mother comes to visit them sometimes, but isn't able to have them at home. There is no heat and no glass in the windows at their apartment. These two little girls, Iulia and Maria, are funny and spunky kids, in spite of living apart from their mother. They came to live at the Center with shaved heads, due to a terrible problem with head lice. This week I was reminded of a story that my friend, Robin, shared with me years ago, as these two little girls paraded around with their tights on their heads, pretending that they had long, beautiful hair! Bittersweet little lives. Speaking of head lice, it is a terrible problem here, and I guess it is worse in the winter. It is cold and hard to bathe. It is a pain to wash clothing and hair. So far, I've avoided any bug-jumping, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Yuck! It makes me itch just to think about it. On that happy and cheerful note, know that I love and miss you all. 81 days! xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home