My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

I am fun-loving, a dreamer, but not much of a schemer. I try always to be a good friend, and a good mother, daughter and sister. I am a hard worker, and I like to work hard and also to have a good time. I am serving in the Peace Corps, in Moldova, and the insight and opinions in this blog are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of the US government or the Peace Corps. "I cannot do great things. I can only do small things with great love."

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Endless

This month of January feels endless today. There is still a week before its over, and it feels like its been January for weeks, and weeks, and weeks, almost since I got back here. This week there was more to do at work, and the week was punctuated by a mid-week trip into the capital so in theory it should have felt like it was passing more quickly. That theory being the one that espouses that the busier I am, the more quickly the time seems to pass. Not really true, but the days are passing, no matter how slowly it feels that way sometimes. You know the saying about molasses in January, well it would be frozen here today!

Right now there are 7 kids at the Center, along with the 5 elderly residents. Some of this increase is due to the very frigid weather we have been having this week. Yesterday and today the temperature has not gone above -15C. That was the warm number, and converts to about 5F. Without a calculation for wind chill, which has been considerable, that's the coldest I think it's been in the almost two years I've been here. It's been that cold for the past three days. Yesterday I was more aware of the lack of sun over the past few weeks, only one day and a few hours so far this month. Today we have sun, hooray!, but it is too cold to be out for very long. The wind has been fierce, which is really makes the cold penetrating. I've had two days without my usual walking, and I think my mental health is suffering for lack of walking! Last year was so much milder, less snowy, and almost pleasant in comparison. I took my heavy coat home in November and left it there, not anticipating how much I would miss it this month. Still, I know I will be glad not to have to carry the heavier coat home in April, and that is what I am still focused on.

The kids are good, and fun to spend time with, as always. They like playing dress-up, building houses with blocks, doing puzzles, reading, coloring, learning poems to recite, and working on writing and simple math problems. School doesn't begin for kids until they are at least seven years old here. All of the children currently living at the Center are between four and eight years old. The oldest, Lenuta, goes to school everyday, but everyone else follows a schedule of activities everyday. This week, even in the bitter cold, there was a lot of time outside sledding. It feels good to have good work to do everyday. Even when I am frustrated with other things, I have always loved going to work, and this is no exception.

My trip into Chisinau was a good one and a welcome break. I went in to get my B12 shot, had an awesome 4 hour lunch with a group of volunteers, visited with Teresa for a bit, watched the movie Sherlock, which I really enjoyed, had a very productive meeting with the acting Program Manager, and safely made it back to the village before the bitter cold hit in full force. Not a bad week, just one that is part of the seemingly endless countdown. Even when I try not to be aware of it, not one day passes that I don't think about all of you and wish I was home. It's close, but not quite close enough. Oh well. Nothing is ever endless, and this too shall pass. Spring is just around the corner! 75 days. I love and miss you all. xoxo, Jami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home